** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

#33 One Month In


I’m a little over 100 days in. I’ve been living on this beautiful volcanic island for about a month now and already have stories ranging everywhere from Nica weddings to cock fights to pirate parties. I have to do a better job at maintaining this blog and will try to blog weekly from now on. Overall, everything is going relatively smoothly; some days are better than others, but the challenges were expected (although not truly realized until they occur).

I think I’ll just talk about life in general during this blog and save some of the interesting stories for the next blog. That's not to say (in any way whatsoever) that my life in general here is not interesting..

My main job is working at the schools teaching business classes to juniors and seniors in high school. I will have a separate post about this because it easily dominates my weeks and is so drastically different from anything I have ever experienced, that I have heaps to say about it. Imagine sitting in class everyday of high school only to be dictated to and forced to copy down everything without interactive activities, any dynamic exercises, not even a “read it back in your own words.” Just listen and copy – word for word. How boring.


The volcanoes, beaches, sunsets, vegetation, and local animals (sans insects) make up the incredible natural beauty of this island. My house’s proximity to the west-facing port guarantees jaw dropping sunsets every single day.

We went to visit a coffee farm for some of the best coffee I’ve ever had and met this little playful/aggressive guy.

[VIDEO]

My host family and I occasionally take walks or rides to some of the close by beaches and play for a few hours in the water. This one beach near my house call The Jesus Mary Point (seriously) has a long strip of land just below the surface of the water (I forget the name of those things) and you can walk out, sometimes, up to 300 yards. 

In these first few months, we have a lot of down time as we are supposed to just be getting acquainted with our community and meeting people, so I have been doing just that. I have been going to a gym (not what you are picturing) that just opened a few days prior to my arrival and have met a bunch of people through that. It is also fun living in a tourist destination because at anytime I can find myself talking to people from all around the world traveling here on vacation. Most of the time I am spending time with any number of family members or neighbors that live/roam through or near my house. During all this downtime, I find myself spending a fair amount of time reading on a delicious hammock that hangs on my porch and have decided that no house of mine in the future should be deprived the luxury of a hammock. Just make sure you have your bug spray.

There are a lot of bugs here. The mosquitoes are hands down the biggest assholes. Yesterday, I had 9 bites between waking up and finishing my morning coffee. I have learned (often forget) to apply bug spray and/or carry around an itch-away marker everywhere I go. Other times, I find little bugs on my plate knowing that any number of bites I hadpreviously taken definitely had bugs in them. I’ve had a few too many encounters with rats scurrying around and everyday have small salamanders hanging out on the ceilings/walls/windows. But really the mosquitoes are the only ones that irritate me. I am getting heated just thinking about them.

Now let’s share some stories…

No comments:

Post a Comment