** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Saturday, October 29, 2011

#43 This Too Shall Pass

This is a real job and some days do, in fact, suck just like they would back in the US. Except here, when you have those bad days, you can’t go out for your favorite comfort food for dinner or even pick up your phone/laptop and contact your family for support.

I’ve only had just a couple of these days in Nicaragua, but I’ve seemed to pick up their pattern. The majority of the time it’s when you have nothing to do that day and, therefore, have little reason to leave the house keeping you bored and running laps in your own head. The negativity will usually be triggered by a passing comment or little action that just hits a nerve.

Yesterday's? I was sitting in my family’s little corner store early this morning when the family’s grandma walked in and, skipping all introductions, said, “you going to treat me to what I want?” To which I just laughed off, but then heard her say to my host sister, “it’s true all Americans are cheap.” I tried said I was a volunteer and don’t make any money, “but you’re American, you have money.”

While yes, I could have just said okay and bought her whatever it was that she came to buy (probably costing no more than a dollar), I do not want to start a trend of ‘ask the gringo’ nor do I feel it’s any of my responsibility to buy someone’s errands or snacks. Little things continued to upset me further in the day, which I can pin down to my lack of fluency in Spanish, but I know that little by little my [lack of] Spanish will become less of a problem...

I learned this phrase about a year ago – This too shall pass – and I’ve adopted it as a sort of motto since then. Whenever I’m having a bad moment/day/anything I just remember that whatever it is that is bothering me will, probably soon, pass. The phrase encourages me to react to those difficult moments with peace of mind and, because of those simple words, I can now move on from most low times rather quickly.

I feel better now. Thanks for reading :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment