** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Friday, May 27, 2011

#17 Emanuel’s Birthday


My first birthday celebration in Nicaragua was the most interesting event thus far. There were several overlapping characteristics between an Nicaraguan bday and one in the USA (Cake, candles, balloons, etc…) but there were far more outliers. I came back from class, picked up some ice cream for myself and Emanuel and got busy helping my mom prepare for the festivities.

Their home is a one room dining room/family room/kitchen/etc. We put balloons all over the cement brick walls, streamers, bday decorations, blah blah blah… My mom was up until 1:30 last night making a piñata from cardboard, newspaper, streamers, and paper-mache (sp?). I was floored. She had constructed a very impressive bright yellow guitar with black strings. Piñatas are extremely popular for birthday here. Go figure. We filled it with candy, hung it up, and the kids lost their minds over it. I had the final turn after everyone and smashed it to pieces. Sorry I’m not sorry. I took off my blindfold and saw a mosh pit of 8 year olds in front of me throwing haymakers to get Caramelos.
Next was dinner. You’re expecting pizza right? No probably not actually. We each had a bowl of rice and curry chicken with a slice or two of white bread. It was delish. After, my pops turned the beats up and I learned how to dance Nicaraguan style. Not gonna lie, I got down. Must also admit that I got down pretty dam well and definitely won the crowd over.

After the dancing was the usual cake and singing (I led the English verses). While we ate, we started the Gringo Game. All 10 of the kids and the 6 parents in the room had a Q and A session with me, The Gringo. We went over English and Spanish words, that when you are pronouncing very clearly, they actually sound ridiculous. Say Purple out loud slowly. T-shirt and Teacher were difficult, as were winner and winter. I laughed at them because I got ridiculed last week when I asked for Thursdays for breakfast (Jueves = Thursday, Huevos = Eggs). After about a solid 45 minutes of Q & A, the kids went outside to play and I stayed in to talk to a family ( I think my Uncle?) who lives up the street. We spoke about everything and I had hit a stride in my Spanish, felt goooood. Everyone is very interested in my life and I love talking about my friends and family from back home so I get to work on my Spanish and reminisce about those of you hanging out in Amerikah.

No comments:

Post a Comment