** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Friday, May 13, 2011

#8 San Juan de Oriente

Wiki Site  ( note, water every other day? some volunteers don't even have water, lucky me :D )

WOWW
Google Images

Some Tourist Site

I’m going hard with these blog posts right now because I was unable to post yesterday (thank you blogspot) and in my training town (through August), there is said to be no internet. Therefore, I assume my posts will be scarce for the next few months.

We have received our host families for the three months of training and mine is located in the lovely town of San Juan de Oriente. This town is known for its pottery and in the picture of my host family I received today, they are standing in front of shelves of pottery and ceramics. Based on the photo, I am under the assumption that my family owns a pottery business. I will be the 7th member of the family, living with a mother and father, their two young boys (aged 8 and 2) and two in-laws in their 30s.

The town is noted to be a beautiful artsy sort of town with lakes and lots of character. I do not know of much more information about the town itself, but tomorrow when we move in with our new families, I will be able to tell you more (that is, when I can connect to the internet and am able to update my blog of course)!

I have 4 other male trainees in my site. Matt, Lesli, Jake, and I are all close to the same level of Spanish proficiency and get along well. We are all very comfortable with each other and when we met today to receive our first Spanish level, we had laughs and a generally fun time leading me to believe that the next few months will be that much better.

The PC has provided us a mosquito net, a heavyy toolbox of medical supplies, a diarrhea kit mmmmm, and kilos of reading material to read and learn over the next 11 weeks.

On my way to class yesterday one of the staff members here in the Ministry of Education compound pulled me aside to give me a tour of the school located in our compound.  You can see the videos of a tour of the compound with an intermission of photos followed by the conclusion of tour afterwards.

Here is where the photos and videos would go. But the internet is garbage right now.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,my name is Tina, I'm a good friend of Sarah Robinson (ag program). Enjoying your blog. Very interesting to read from the perspective of an RPCV and a current nominee waiting to go back in. Brings back lots of memories but also gets me excited to go again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hola. its Diane H. just read all of ur blog posts- fascinating stuff. econ development really interests me.. i may have mentioned my dad was in the peace corps back in the day as well so i'm interested to hear about another experience. question- have you encountered/do you expect to be involved in anything to do with microfinance? i know there are different opinions on it so i'm curious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!! Diane, i'm goign to be starting community banks, i will have more on that later once i get the ball going. It's a type of microfinance where it is self sufficient by the community. thanks for the interest and reading :)

    ReplyDelete