** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Monday, May 9, 2011

#2 No More Uggs


How do you pack for two years?
The PC requires you to fit all your belongings into two bags and a backpack with a combined weight not exceeding 80 pounds and neither in excess of 50 pounds. I’ve packed all my possessions in one wheeled duffel bag, a 65-liter backpacker’s backpack. Using current and returned volunteer’s blogs and recommendations, I’ve managed to pack a total of 70 pounds of goodies into my bags.

Clothes:
  • 8 or so t-shirts
  • 4 sleeveless tanks
  • 2 light long sleeve shirts
  • 1 waterproof jacket/shell
  • 1 windbreaker type jacket
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 5 khaki pants
  • Lots of underwear and socks
  • 1 pair of running shoes
  • 1 pair of hiking shoes
  • 2 flip flops (1 junk pair for showers, 1 Reefs)
  • Free ad for Reefs: Everyone says ohh la la about Reefs, so I finally bought a pair and everyone was more than right. These flops are silly comfortable, highly recommended.
  • Teva-style sandals (Nicaragua is not big on flip flops in public!? grrr)
  • 2 pairs of dressy, boat shoe type kicks for works
  • 3 bathing suits/board shorts
  • 4 pairs of shorts
  • 3ish gym outfits (gym shorts, quick-dry shirts)
  • 5 button down shirts/collared shirts for work
  • 1 tie for formal wear
  • Baseball hat


Miscellaneous:
  • iPod speakers
  • iPod + headphones
  • Laptop computer
  • External hard drive
  • Digital camera and video camera
  • Kindle loaded with about 70 books
  • Photos to hang up around my house
  • American and Maryland flags
  • Host family gifts
    • 2 Yankee baseballs
    • 1 Yankee gym backpack
    • 2 American flags
  • Exercise bands
  • Nalgene water bottle
  • String-tie backpack
  • A pocket knife and Leatherman
  • Toiletries including a lifetime supply of Q-tips mmm
  • Lots of batteries
  • Headlamp and small flashlight
  • Ziplock bags
  • 1 set of sheets
  • Sleeping bag liner
  • 3 quick-dry towels
  • Bug spray and suntan lotion
  • 1 pillow (apparently Nicaragua doesn’t “do” pillows)
  • Fly swatter
  • A few combination and key Masterlocks
  • Small container of hand sanitizer
  • A deck of cards, Uno, and Bananagrams to play games with my new friends J
  • 3 little packets of tissues
  • Portable alarm clock and watch


I was told to pack light and as usual I feel like I over packed like I usually do when I travel. Even for packing light(er) I still know I over packed, but I feel  like it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I had to leave a fair amount of my belongings at home where they’ll sit and collect dust for the next two years. I’ll have to leave my cell phone(!) home and purchase a new camera-less phone in Nica. The PC forbids male volunteers from wearing earrings, therefore my classy fake black diamond earrings that I’ve become one with will not be receiving any attention while I’m away. Sadly, my Ugg slippers will be resting in my closet also seeing as it’s going to be HOT and humid in Nicaragua.

Even though as I was typing my list I began to realize that I definitely did pack more than I’ll need, it still feels awkward knowing that I’ll be limiting myself to these relatively few assets. It also feels surprisingly delicious having a limited number of outfits and possessions and no cell phone for the time being. I’m greatly looking forward to simplifying my materialistic life and assume that when I return in two years, I won’t be wasting my time and money on such useless garbage.

Focus on the important things in life. The rest is just fluff. Nicaragua Here I Come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment