** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Monday, May 9, 2011

#4 I got these beats inside my head, they won't let me go to bed

Please do not expect my posts to be this long normally. I don't want to write them and I assume you don't want to read them if they are. This is only because I have time and there is a lot to discuss prior to starting. I assure you this rate will not continue. I'm aiming for weekly updates, maybe more if I am feeling generous and not drained from the intense work they planned for us. Plus I find this whole thing pretty interesting, so I have a lot to say.

Upon acceptance into the Peace Corps, my post college plans changed when I sent in my confirmation letter. In this past year, I lived in a frat house becoming a phony kapp sig, moved into THE LODGE (heyoooo), climbed mountains in Switzerland, sailed the coasts of Italy and France, Birthright-ed in Israel, hit up Egypt mid-revolution (oops), toured Petra in Jordan, founded Beatlodge, got a bunch of DJ gigs, made new life-long friends, fathered a gorgeous fake-puggle Riley, and even got to make sweet sweet love to Ultra Music Festival. Hell yeah for year off's. Woot Woot.

Okay seriously.

The Peace Corps provides us packets and packets of information. If I were involved in the agricultural sector, I'd be pretty pissed at the irony. So they give us all this paperwork, of which, I've been putting off until just a few days ago when I finally read my assignment info all the way through. The first of about 11 packets waiting for my scrutinization. The reading material gives me so much to think about, I can barely even categorize it all.

There is so much to look forward to. I am overwhelmed (but not really) with all the aspects and endeavors just in the coming days. To get an idea of what sort of things a person about to embark on this sort of adventure is thinking about, please continue reading :)

Imagine picking up EVERYTHING and moving to a foreign country. New language, new climate, new friends, new diet/food, new humor, new home, new bed, new job, new transportation, new community. I feel like I'm narrating the introduction to Trainspotting.

The unique thing about the Peace Corps is how this organization goes about achieving its goal of aiding developing nations and spreading US love. It does this in the form of Volunteers speaking the local language, understanding the local culture, and living in the local towns. I will have the opportunity to make positive differences in several peoples' lives through the Peace Corps. Here is a summary of an anecdote from one of the dvd's sent to us of a current business Volunteer in Nica:

The volunteer began working with a local business woman who owned a business, and had for years seeing as she was about 60. The volunteer taught the woman the most basic business principle about profits and losses. This woman had no idea if she had been making money on the goods she was selling. She had been seemingly selling goods at arbitrary prices, not considering her costs. The volunteer taught her to records sales and expenses, allowing her to determine her income and adjust prices accordingly. She then adjusted her prices, cut costs, and was able to increase her profits. The Volunteer also taught her the basics of marketing and promotion. She soon had business cards and signs made to further increase her revenue. She is now Forbes 42nd richest woman in the world. You get the picture.

I'm enthusiastic to be able to make these differences in the lives of the locals and improve their livelihood. I'm also extremely eager to start teaching high school and influence dozens of teenaged Nicaraguans to have a fresh perspective in entrepreneurship and be keen on starting businesses.

I'm so sad to have to leave my UMD and Trumbull friends. The friends I made this past year are some of the best people I have ever met and I can't wait for some reuniting in a few years. I was able to spend Mother's Day with lots of my close family. Sharing the love with the Cooper's new baby and receiving such encouraging words from my family was a real treat. I was especially grateful to spend this Mother's Day with my grandma, G-Phyl, who has just recently taken a turn and seems to be falling more susceptible to old age (90 years old). Realizing that Sunday was likely to be the last time I would hug her really breaks my heart. Please say a prayer or whatever religious people do for her, I'm certain she would do it for you. I know I'm coming back in two years and am not going into the military or anything like that, but for the average person these things are meaningful.

I have to wake up at 5:00 AM for an 8:00 AM flight to DC. I'm tired. Haven't slept enough recently. Tomorrow starts the next chapter in my life. Big Hugs All Around <3

No comments:

Post a Comment