** Please feel free to comment! It tells me that people are reading this and makes me feel warm inside ; )

Friday, May 27, 2011

#18 The Poor get Poorer

***This post means a lot, please take time to read it***


My brother wont sit still and do his math homework. I worked on it with him for two minutes on Tuesday and it was clear as day why. He has fallen behind in an education system that is over crowded, nowhere nearly as structured as it is in The States, underfunded, and doesn’t seem to give special attention to each student.

I tutored underprivileged 5th graders for a few years in DC at a special after school program. These students were in the same boat, but they were able to sign up for a volunteer program where they received special one on one tutoring sessions, have workbooks, flashcards, hands-on activities for certain types of learners, etc. In these poorer nations, students like my brother have only one empty notebook for all their classes and have up to 100 students in a class. They don't have access to workbooks, flashcards, etc... It is a mean cycle where once you fall behind at all, you're essentially done for and Emanuel has fallen behind. I have resolved to work with him for 30 minutes every night Monday through Thursday until I leave. I will get him caught up.

I am not a teacher (yet) so if you would be able to help I would appreciate it so much. He is a very visual learner, so next time you are near a book store or any place that would sell workbooks or math supplies to help students learn 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade math (advanced addition and subtraction, any level of multiplication, etc…) I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL. It may cost around $10 to mail, but it would help more than you can imagine. They'd be used by not only my brother, but his friends and the dozens of relatives in the same age. You can mail them to me at  the address on the right ------->

Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment